Victor R. Prisk, MD
Victor R. Prisk MD
Medical Director of POW
Member GNC Medical Advisory Board
VRP Sciences, LLC Scientific Director
IFBB Professional League Bodybuilder and Judge
Author: The GAIN Plan, The Leucine Factor Diet
Education & Work
8/2017 to Present
- CEO and Medical Director of Prisk Orthopaedics and Wellness, PC
- Owner and Medical Director of P.O.W. Fit, LLC
- Member, American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine
- CEO, VRP Sciences, LLC
8/2012 to 8/2017
- Assistant Professor Drexel University
- Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation
- Allegheny Health Network
- GNC Medical Advisory Board
- Board Member and Medical Director, Bodiography Dance Co.
8/2008 to 6/2012
- University of Pittsburgh Physicians
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Assistant Professor
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- ABOS Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon 2010
8/2007 to 8/2008
- The Hospital for Special Surgery
- Fellow in Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgery
7/2006 to 8/2007
- University of Pittsburgh Physicians
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Clinical Instructor Trauma Orthopaedics
7/2001 to 7/2006
- University of Pittsburgh Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Resident and Research Fellow
8/1997 to 5/2001
- University of Illinois College of Medicine
- M.D. Graduate with Honors
- 8/1996 to 8/1997
- Michigan State University
- Masters Program in Human Physiology
1/1993 to 8/1996
- Iowa State University of Science and Technology
- B.S. Honors Zoology with emphasis in Physiology and Biochemistry
6/1992 to 1/1993
- United States Air Force Academy
Honors, Grants & Recognition
Residency & Beyond
- Keynote Speaker, World Pro Health Conference, Sao Paulo, Brazil, May 2019.
- Steve Stone Heart of a Champion Award, NPC Nationals 2010
- Albert B. Ferguson Translational Research Grant 2010
- Guest Surgeon for the Prima Dama Dominican Republic 2007
- AOSSM Aircast Award for Basic Science 2003 "The Efffect of Relaxin Treatment in Skeletal Muscle Injury"
- Key Note Speaker, Bioscience Frontiers QUT Brisbane, Australia 2002 "Stem Cell Therapies for the Musculoskeletal System"
- Ferguson Grant from the Pittsburgh Foundation
- Muscletech Athlete Sponsorship, Iovate Health Sciences
- Association for Academic Surgery Student Research Award 2001 "Effect of Chronic Peritoneal Sepsis on Mortality in Female Rats"
- Otto Saphir Memorial Scholarship for Excellence in Pathology
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Junior Year Inductee
- Avery Brundage Memorial Scholarship for Student Athletes
- M1 Year Class President
- 1st Place National Ranking NCAA Still Rings 1996-1997
- NCAA All-American Gymnastics, 2nd Place Still Rings 1997
- NCAA Academic All-American 1994, 1997
- NCAA National Championship Finalist Still Rings 1994
- Athletic Scholarship for Gymnastics Michigan State U. 1996-1997
- Athletic Scholarship for Gymnastics Iowa State U. 1993-1996
- Highest Student Athlete GPA Award, Iowa State U. 1994
- NBC’s Hansen’s Hero, 1994
- Phi Kappa Phi, Alpha Lambda Delta, and Phi Eta Sigma
- Golden Key National Honors Society
- Harry S. Truman Scholarship Finalist
- Congressional Appointment to the United States Air Force Academy
- Rao P, Ramanjaneyulu Y, Prisk VR, Schurgers LJ. A Combination of Tamarindus indica seeds and Curcuma longa Rhizome Extract Improves Knee Joint Function and Alleviates Pain in Non-Arthritic Adults Following Physical Activity. Int. J. Med. Sci. 2019, Vol. 16
- Prisk VR. The Leucine Factor Diet, Ulysses Press, Berkley CA January 2016 (book)
- Prisk VR. The G.A.I.N. Plan, GAIN LLC Press, Pittsburgh, PA June 2014 (book)
- Abebe ES, Tarkin I, Prisk V. Could Low Total and Free Testosterone Levels be risk factor for Achilles Tendon Ruptures in Males. OJSM 2013 1(4) Suppl 1
- Prisk VR. Commentary on an article by J.D. Rompe, MD, et al.: "Plantar fascia-specific stretching versus radial shock-wave therapy as initial treatment of plantar fasciopathy".J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Nov 3;92(15):e26.
- Prisk VR, Hamilton WH. Plantar Condylectomy for the Unstable Second Metatarsophalangeal Joint. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics 20(3):162-166 Sept 2010
- Prisk VR. Osteochondral Autograft Transfer for Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics 20(3):190-194, Sept 2010
- Prisk VR, Imhauser CW, O'Loughlin PF, Kennedy JG. Lateral ligament repair and reconstruction restore neither contact mechanics of the ankle joint nor motion patterns of the hindfoot. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Oct 20;92(14):2375-86.
- Prisk VR. Osteochondral Autograft Transfer to the Medial Talar Dome. 2009 (chapter submitted to Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery, Sports Medicine)
- Prisk VR, Hamilton WG. Stress fracture of the first rib in weight-trained dancers.Am J Sports Med. 2008 Dec;36(12):2444-7. Epub 2008 Oct 23
- Prisk VR, O'Loughlin PF, Kennedy JG. Forefoot injuries in dancers. Clin Sports Med. 2008 Apr;27(2):305-20.
- Prisk VR, Wukich D. Ankle fractures in diabetics. Foot Ankle Clin. 2006 Dec;11(4):849-63
- Prisk V, Shen W (co-first author), Li Y, Foster W, Huard J. Inhibited Skeletal Muscle Healing in Cyclooxygenase-2 Gene-Deficient Mice: The Role of PGE2 and PGF2α.J Appl Physiol. 2006 Oct;101(4):1215-21.
- Prisk V, Huard J. Chapter 34: Stem Cells in Tissue Engineering. Scaffolding in Tissue Engineering. Yale Press (in press 2005)
- Li Y, Foster W, Deasy BM, Chan Y, Prisk V, Tang Y, Cummins J, Huard J. Transforming growth factor-beta1 induces the differentiation of myogenic cells into fibrotic cells in injured skeletal muscle: a key event in muscle fibrogenesis. Am J Pathol. 2004 Mar;164(3):1007-19.
- Prisk V, Huard J. Muscle injuries and repair: the role of prostaglandins and inflammation. Histol Histopathol. 2003 Oct;18(4):1243-56.
- Lu Z, Dantzer W, Hopmans E, Prisk V, Cunnick J, Murphy P, Hendrich S. Reaction with fructose detoxifies fumonisin while stimulating liver-associated natural killer cell activity in rats. J Agric Food Chem. 1997, 45: 803-809
Abstracts & Presentations
- Prisk VR. KEYNOTE: Regenerative Medicine for Orthopaedics. World Pro Health Conference Sao Paulo Brazil, June 2019.
- Prisk VR. The Geriatric Foot and Ankle. UPMC Geriatric Symposium 2014, 2016, 2019
- Travis Johnson, DPM; Anthony Chesser, DPM; Alan Catanzariti, DPM, FACFAS; Karl Saltrick, DPM, FACFAS; Victor Prisk, MD. Effect of Modified Lapidus Arthrodesis on Rearfoot Alignment. ACFAS 2018 Annual Scientific Seminar
- Prisk VR. The Leucine Factor Diet. Mr. Olympia, LLC Lectureship, with GNC, Las Vegas Nevada, September 2017
- Prisk VR. The Leucine Factor. ISSN Annual Meeting 2016 Clearwater Beach, FL Podium Presentation.
- Prisk VR. What Orthopaedics Can Learn from Sports Nutrition. Allegheny General Hospital Grand Rounds, March 2016.
- Prisk VR. Dance Medicine, The Eye Sees What the Mind Knows. Scott Atler Lectureship West Penn Department of Podiatry August 2016
- Prisk VR. Impact of Dietary Leucine on Metabolic Health in the Dancer. International Association of Dance Medicine and Science Annual Meeting October 2015, Pittsburgh, PA
- Prisk VR. Nutritional Supplementation and the Dancer. International Association of Dance Medicine and Science Annual Meeting Podium Presentation October 2014, Basel, Switzerland
- Prisk VR, Coffey E. Ankle Impingement in the Dancer. Podium Presentation. IADMS Annual Meeting October 2013, Seattle, WA
- Fujimaki Y, Miyawaki M, Thorhauer E, Prisk V, Tashman S. In Vivo Kinematics of the ankle during gait following reconstruction for chronic ankle instability. ISAKOS 9th Biennial ISAKOS Congress May 2013, Toronto, Canada (poster)
- Abebe ES, Tarkin I, Prisk V. Could low total and free testosterone be a risk factor for Achilles tendon rupture in males? AOSSM Annual Meeting 2013 (poster)
- Abebe ES, Tarkin I, Prisk V. Could Low Total and Free Testosterone Levels be risk factor for Achilles Tendon Ruptures in Males AOFAS Annual Meeting 2014 (poster)
- Fujimaki Y, Miyawaki M, St. Louis K, Grover C, Thorhauer E, Prisk V (PI), Tashman S. IN VIVO KINEMATICS OF THE ANKLE DURING GAIT FOLLOWING RECONSTRUCTION FOR CHRONIC ANKLE INSTABILITY ORS 2013 San Antonio, TX.
- Prisk V, Imhauser C, O’laughlin P, Wright T, Kennedy J, Deland J. The Effects of Lateral Ligament Injury and Reconstruction of Hindfoot Kinematics and Ankle Contact Mechanics. AOFAS Vancouver, BC July 2009 (podium)
- Imhauser C, Prisk V, O’Loughlin P, Wright T, Kennedy J, Deland J. Lateral Ligament Reconstructions Restore Ankle Joint Contact Mechanics but Alter Coupled Motions at the Hindfoot ORS Las Vegas, NV USA February 2009, (podium)
- Shen W, Prisk V, Li Y, Foster W, Cummins J, Fu F, Huard J, Inhibited Skeletal Muscle Healing in Cyclooxygenase-2-Deficient Mice: The Roles of PGE2 and PGF2α in Muscle Cell Differentiation. AOSSM Annual Meeting Keystone, CO USA July 2005 (Poster and Podium)
- Prisk V, Foster W, Li Y, Huard J. The Effects of Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibition and Gene Deficiency on Skeletal Muscle Healing. ACSM National Meeting Indianapolis, IN USA 2004 (podium)
- Prisk V, Foster W, Li Y, Huard J. The Effects of Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibition and Gene Deficiency on Skeletal Muscle Healing. ACSM Eastern Regional Meeting East Stroudsburg, PA USA 2004 (podium)
- Prisk V, Foster W, Li Y, Cummins J, Huard J. The Effects of Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibition on Skeletal Muscle In Vivo and In Vitro. POJ Pittsburgh, PA 2004
- Prisk V, Peng H, Usas A, Huard J. The Effects of Cyclooxygenase-2 Gene Deficiency on Heterotopic Bone Formation. POJ Pittsburgh, PA 2004
- Prisk V, Peng H, Usas A, Cooper GM, Huard J. The Effects of Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibition on Heterotopic Bone Formation. Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting; San Francisco, CA USA March 2004 (Poster)
- Prisk V, Foster W, Li Y, Huard J. The Effects of Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibition on Skeletal Muscle Healing. Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting; San Francisco, CA USA March 2004 (Poster)
- Negishi S, Li Y, Foster W, Cummins J, Kuroda R, Prisk V, Huard J. The Effect of Relaxin Treament in Skeletal Muscle Injuries. AOSSM Annual Meeting; San Diego, CA USA July 2003 (Aircast Award for Basic Science)
- Prisk V, Bosmann H, Choudary G, Sharma A, Law W, Ferguson J. Effect of Chronic Peritoneal Sepsis on Mortality in Female Rats. Shock 1999 (Suppl to Vol 11); 33 (Assoc. for Academic Surgery Student Research Award)
- Wall P, Prisk V, Miller K, Paulsen S, Chendrasekhar A, Moorman D, Timberlake G. Overnight Fasting Increases Baseline Neutrophil CD18 Expression in Rats. Society Of Critical Care Medicine; 27Th Educational And Scientific Symposium; San Antonio, Texas, USA February 1998
- Prisk V, Wall P, Moorman D, Clapper J, Paradise N, Timberlake G. Neutrophil CD-18 Expression after Hemorrhagic Shock and Resuscitation. Society Of Critical Care Medicine; 26Th Educational And Scientific Symposium; San Diego, CA, USA February 1997
GRAND ROUNDS Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery:
- ACL Reconstruction in the Skeletally Immature Athlete. June 2004
- Tibial Pilon Fractures: Current Concepts 2004. September 2004
- Ulnar-Sided Wrist Pain: Diagnosis and Management. March 2005 UPMC
- The Dancer, Your Eye Sees What the Mind Knows May 2009 UPMC
- You May Not Have Seen It, But, It’s Seen You, August 2014 WPH.
- What Orthopaedists can Learn from Sports Nutrition, March 2016, AHN
Previous Research Projects:
- Development of a Bloodless Glucose Monitor for Diabetic Patients. Bayer Corporation/MSU 1996-1997
- The Effects of Oral Creatine Phosphate Supplementation on Maximal Exercise Performance. Advisor: Douglas King, PhD. ISU 1995-1996
- Consultant, Pittsburgh Riverhounds MLS soccer
- Consultant, Pittsburgh Pirates Baseball
- Reviewer JBJS, AJSM, Journal of Dance Medicine and Science
- PA Athletic Commission Physician
- Board, Embrace Dance Project
- Consultant to Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre
- Consultant to Point Park, Robert Morris, and Pitt Athletics
- Editor, Muscular Development Magazine
- Writer, Weider’s Flex Magazine, Muscle & Fitness Magazine
- Writer, Wellbella, Muscle & Body
- Editor Fitness Rx for Men, Fitness Rx for women
- Dance Medicine and Science.